Sunday, November 15, 2009

Hummingbird Fail

I made a tiny cake to test out my first experiment in the search for fluffy hummingbird cake.

It turned out to be less than flavorful, and pretty dense. When combined with creamcheese icing and pineapple between the layers, it wasn't bad, but I threw it away because I didn't want to give it away (and own up to baking it) and I didn't want to eat it all myself.


I tried making a variation of the "Mr. Banana Legs" cake in the CakeLove cookbook.

Things I probably did wrong:

1. Butter and eggs weren't quite at room temp
2. Mixed ingredients too long
3. Measured, rather than weighed ingredients. And this guy's a stickler for weighing.
4. Added some pineapple; about 4 oz. Then thought, maybe I'll throw in
5. An extra 1/4 cup flour. Who knows what that did to this cake.

In general, CakeLove's batters are full of liquors, special ingredients and specific instructions. I'm going to try making the banana cake recipe to the letter in the next couple of days, and hopefully it will turn out with the desired texture and flavor. I'll post the recipe with that batch.

No comments:

Post a Comment