Saturday, October 24, 2009

Cheesecake Trials.



So they HAD to HAVE a cheesecake for the restaurant this weekend, and as the other baker is out of town, the task fell to me. I made a key lime pie and had planned a tart, and I thought that would be sufficient. Little did I know what was still to come...
Anyway, it was a rather hectic friday afternoon, trying to bake an apple tart and a cheesecake and clean the house and plan the fantastic HARRY POTTER PARTY HOORAY with Emily and cook for friends that were coming over for dinner at 7pm.

I used the cheesecake recipe I posted previously, mint chocolate cheesecake, but without the mint. It requires a long, low temp baking and I must admit I tried to expedite the process.
Needless to say, it split in about a billion different ways. I was horrified when I looked in the oven and saw that the cheesecake had risen well beyond the top of the spring form pan; a little monster trying to take over my oven. And when I finally pulled it out, it greeted the air by exhaling and sinking a few inches. I guess it relaxed so much that it felt comfortable unbuckling its belt to crack wide open.

So I dragged my key lime pie and apple tart to the restaurant and promised them a cheesecake in the morning.

(This first cheesecake was delicious after dinner with our guests. I had some leftover batter and put it in ramekins, adding blueberries to one and bananas to the other. The blueberries were killa dilla and the bananas were decent.)

Ultimately, I found myself in Kroger at 11pm buying cream cheese. I set my alarm to wake up at 12:30 or so to take the new cheesecake out of the oven. Actually, I didn't take it out of the oven, I left in the oven with the door cracked so the air wouldn't shock the cheesecake. Then I was up again at 4am to put it in the fridge and guess what? Cracked.



Clearly, cheesecake hates me, and I am starting to hate it, because I can still feel it around my midriff from last night. And at 4am when I had some more.

So, what do you do with a cracked cheesecake? You make chocolate ganache at 4 am and pour it on top, hiding said crack.




And that's just what I did.



No comments:

Post a Comment