Saturday, December 5, 2009

White Chocolate Raspberry Cheesecake



The original recipe used an almond-vanilla wafer crust, but I decided I couldn't go wrong making a chocolate cookie crust. Also, I read the reviews, and while most people loved the cheesecake, they also recommended doubling the recipe, which I did. I baked it in a 10-in springform pan.

And while the original recipe called for a sour cream topping, I was having none of it. I made mine with leftover white chocolate and some raspberry juice, though next time I would use waaaay more white chocolate and raspberry and make the topping beautiful like marbled paper...I fear that as it is, it looks like somebody bled all over the top.


(the dream-like fuzziness of the picture below was caused by steam escaping from below the bowl of melting chocolate)


Adapted from Bon Appetit, February, 1994 (As I made it, crust, doubled and topping).

Crust
1.5 c chocolate cookie crumbs
.5-1 stick melted butter
(pulse the cookies in a food processor, slowly adding the butter, or just just crumbs and butter together. Press into bottom of springform pan. Refrigerate)

Filling
8-oz white chocolate, chopped (they suggust Lindt) (forgive me, Bon Appetit, I used Tollhouse and regular old baking chocolate.)
4 8-oz packages (2 lbs) cream cheese, softened.
1-1/3 cup sugar
4 t vanilla extract
1.5 t grated lemon zest
4 large eggs
1.5 cup frozen (mostly thawed) or fresh raspberries


Directions:
Preheat to 350.

Melt white chocolate in double boiler, stirring often, until smooth. Remove from over the water when melted.

Using a mixer, combine cream cheese, sugar, vanille and lemon peel. Beat until smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating until just combined. Beat in white chocolate.

Pour half the filling into the springform pan. Sprinkle the raspberries all over the top. Add the rest of the filling on top of the raspberries.

Bake until the edges are set, but the center still jiggles. It was about an 1 hr 10 minutes for me. The directions also say to cool 10-20 minutes, then run a knife around the edge and gently press down the edges with your fingers.

(my mini test cheesecake so I can taste it before heading to the restaurant. I ate half before it was even cooled)

Then you can go on and mix 8-oz sour cream, 3 T sugar and 1/2 t vanilla, spread over the top and bake for another 5 min,

OR

you can make white chocolate ganache, pour it over the cheesecake and then swirl in raspberry juice or raspberry jam. (I would recommend a ratio of 1:1.5 -cream:white chocolate)

Either way, let the thing chill and cool overnight (or for 3 hours if you are pressed for time as I was.)


No comments:

Post a Comment