Saturday, January 16, 2010

The KING Cake



Elvis "The King" is known for eating grilled peanut butter and banana sandwiches; an immortal combination.

I just read that he often ate 12-15 sandwiches in ONE SITTING...that is DISGUSTING. According to wikipedia, he sometimes included bacon on his sandwiches as well.

I don't care what people say about it, I love wikipedia. I love it when one topic leads you to another, and before you know it, you're twenty pages deep, reading about Sid and Nancy or about the fattest 2 year old in the world, and you don't even remember how you got started, but boy are you well-informed.

Anyway, there is some very interesting information on Elvis...I would check it out.



This cake was inspired by three things: 1. The leftover caramel and pb frosting from our party. 2. The banana cupcakes from the party. 3. Elvis Presley.

The salted caramel and pb cream cheese frosting together was fantastic. I added a bit more pb, but the caramel gave it depth and a great flavor and the peanut butter wasn't overpowering as it can be sometimes.

I made the banana cupcakes into 2 9-in layers and it turned out beautifully. I spread chocolate ganache between the layers before the frosting, and I glopped it on top, too.

The people who are brave enough to try it in the restaurant just love it.


Banana Cake recipe by Baked.

Preheat to 325 and grease 2 9-in cake pans.

Ingredients:
2 3/4 cup AP flour
1 1/4 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened unsalted butter
1/4 cup vegetable shortening, at room temperature
1 3/4 cup sugar
2 t vanilla
2 large eggs
1 1/2 cup mashed very ripe bananas (for me it was 3.5 bananas)
1/2 cup buttermilk

Sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl and set aside
In an electric mixer, beat the butter and shortening together until creamy. Add sugar and vanilla and beat on medium speed until fluffy (about 3 minutes). Scrape down the bowl and add the bananas...beat until just mixed. Turn mixer to low, add the flour mixture, alternating with the buttermilk. Scrape down the bowl and beat again for a few seconds.

cupcakes: makes 24. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
9-in cakes: bake about 35 minutes.



1 comment:

  1. Things I adore: your terrariums, Elvis' taste in food, YOU.

    also, everything I know about Sid and Nancy is courtesy of wikipedia.

    seriously, I am WAY impressed by your terrariums and other plant life.

    ReplyDelete